Discover the Dutch!
Orange City and Alton, as well as the surrounding communities, are a rare find! Tucked away in the northwest corner of Iowa dwells a unique blend of communities–rich in Dutch culture, and abundant in hospitality. Orange City and it’s surrounding towns have excellent primary and secondary education, state-of-the-art medical care, robust industry, retail, and a variety of housing opportunities.
Orange City and Alton are clean and safe communities. They boast a strong family atmosphere, plenty of arts, sports, and recreation, as well as spiritual growth.
Orange City and Alton are proud hosts of several recreational activities and facilities. Between the Orange City Arts Council, the Orange City Chamber of Commerce, local parks and recreation organizations, along with groups in surrounding communities, there is usually something going on somewhere close by. And for those wanting a facility to host their event, they won’t have to look very far.
Orange City is the home of annual Tulip Festival. With visitors from all over the state, country, and even Holland, this is the time that Orange City shows off it’s true Dutch heritage. In 2015, the date of the Tulip festival will be May 14, 15, and 16th. Events are planned for the entire weekend including an art exhibit, a dutch street organ, horse-drawn street car tours, wooden shoe demonstration, quilt show, flower show, straat fest, parade, puppet theatre, Klompen Dancers, performances of “Mary Poppins,” road race, and that’s not even the half of it. If you’re anywhere during this weekend, make sure you’re in our corner of Northwest Iowa enjoying Dutch food, dancing, music, sites, culture.
Orange City and Alton are proud of their vast array of performances and events throughout the year. Orange City has many facilities including the town hall auditorium, community band- shell and center park, The Prairie Winds Event Center, Northwestern College Christ Chapel, multiple Northwestern College auditoriums and gymnasiums, two high school facilities and one elementary school facility. Events include Summer Art Fest, ice cream socials, community band, gala evenings, storytelling, intrumentalists, songwriters, dancers, crafts sales, and many more.
Landsmeer Golf Club
Orange City is the host of a unique 18 hole golf course, Landsmeer Golf Club. Landsmeer, Dutch for “Lake of the Land,” reflects both the Dutch heritage of the Orange City area, and the golf course itself. The 160 acre course features rolling hills, native grasses, two lakes, streams, and very reasonable prices.
Featured Services: Golf Shop, Driving Range, Lessons, Club House, Corporate/Group Outings
- Sioux County Court House (Downtown, Orange City)
- Century Home (Albany Ave, Orange City)
- The Little White Store (Central Ave, Orange City)
- Zwemer Hall (Northwestern College, Hwy 10, Orange City)
- Neo-Gothic Church (Alton)
- Sioux County Heritage Center
- Historical Walking Tour (Chamber Office, Downtown, Orange City)
- The Stadcentrum (Opening Spring 2015, Downtown, Orange City)
- Windmill Park, Veterans Park, Jaycee Park, Alton Roadside Park
- KinderSpeelland Playground
- Orange City Area Fitness Center
- Orange City Municipal Aquatic Facility
- Swimming Pool at Landsmeer Golf Club
- Landsmeer Colf Club (Orange City)
- Sioux Golf and Country Club (Alton)
- The Puddle Jumper – Nature Trail
- Rowenhorst Student Center (Northwestern College)
- Tennis courts (inside and out) at Northwestern College
- Running Tracks (Northwestern College: indoor and outdoor)
- Dunlop Park (fishing)
The Orange City/Alton area is home to two family camping areas, with more not too far away.
- Veterans Park (Hwy 10, Orange City)
- Alton Roadside Park (Hwy 10, Alton)
The Orange City area is rich with many excellent and successful businesses, including everything from apparel to imported dutch food. There is also some very successful industry in the area, such as Civco, Quatro Composites, Diamond Vogel Paint, and more.
- The Old Factory Coffee Shop
- The Dutch Bakery
- Hatchery Restaurant & Lounge
- Nederlanders Grille
- Northwestern College Hub (Rowenhorst Student Center)
- Los Tulipanes
- Pizza Ranch
- Taco John’s
- The Koffie Hoek
- Johnny’s Place
- 88 Chinese
- Szechuan Inn
- Hampton Inn (Hwy 10, Orange City)
- Super 8 (Hwy 10, Orange City)
Retail & Services
The area’s “shop at home” atmosphere, along with the many annual events such as the Tulip Festival make Orange City, Alton, and the surrounding areas an exciting place to live.
Service-oriented business thrives in the area with travel agents, dental, chiropractic and vision practices, a full-service print shop and many more. Orange City and the surrounding area also includes many specialty shops, boutiques, a movie theatre, electronics retailers, two great grocery stores and so much more!
- American Reformed Church – Albany Ave. SE
- Bethel Christian Reformed Church – S Main Ave.
- Calvary Christian Reformed Church – 5th St. SE
- Church of the Savior – Arizona Ave. SW
- Dover Avenue Alliance Church – 3rd St. NE
- Faith Lutheran Church – 8th Street SE
- First Christian Reformed Church – Arizona Ave. SE
- First Reformed Church – Central Ave. NW
- Immanuel Christian Reformed Church – 3rd St. SW
- Living Water Community CHurch – Hwy 10
- New Hope Evangelical Free Church – Highway 10 West
- Redeemer Alliance Reformed Church – Florida Ave. SW
- St. Mary’s Catholic Church – 10th St. (Alton)
- Trinity Reformed Church – St. Paul Ave.
Orange City has many options and services for medical care for you and your entire family. This includes primary care, pediatrics, OB/GYN, geriatrics, as well as others.
The Orange City family practice physicians’ style of medicine is very personalized. The local physicians retain a close working relationship with area specialists in referring patients, many of those specialists take advantage of the Outpatient Clinic right in Orange City. There are also clinics in Hospers and Paullina, which are staffed by both physicians and nurse practitioners.
The Orange City Medical Clinics
- Orange City Medical Clinic – 1000 Lincoln Circle SE Suite 100 Orange City, Iowa
- Orange City Area Health System – 1000 Lincoln Circle SE Orange City, Iowa
- Hospers Medical Clinic – 102 Third Ave. S Hospers, Iowa
- Mill Creek Family Practice – 5616 460th Street Paullina, Iowa
Orange City and the surrounding area is home to several great educational systems at both the primary and secondary levels.
- Orange City Elementary School
- Orange City Christian School
- MOC-FV High School
- Unity Christian High School
- Spalding Catholic School
Northwestern College is a 4-year liberal arts college seated at the heart of Orange City. The college presence adds an extra vibrance to Orange City, with many community opportunities for athletics, arts and cultural activities.
City of Alton
City Clerk Office
905 3rd Ave
Alton, IA 51003
125 Central Ave SE
Orange City, IA 51041
509 8th St SE
PO Box 36
Orange City, IA 51041
Tulip Festival Coordinator